Okay, so I’m actually gonna get started on the Tolkien Read Along bingo cards now by writing an analysis about the Silmarils. I’m by no means an expert on this, and I’ll probably forget about something important, but please feel free to add your thoughts! (And for reference, this is to fill the “Silmarils” spot on card B of the Fëanorian’s cards).
I want to write about the composition of the Silmarils - namely, the light that they are made of. In the Quenta Silmarillion, they are described as being “made of the blended light of the Trees of Valinor, which lives in them yet, though the Trees have long withered and shine no more.” (67). This could be taken to mean that all three Silmarils were made of the light of the Two Trees at the mingling. However, the mingling light only makes up 1/3 of the light that the elves of Valinor experienced. And so I think that Fëanor, being the
overachievergenius craftsman that he was, would have wanted to capture the essence of all the beauty that he saw.
Thus, I believe that one Silmaril was crafted purely from the light of Laurelin, and would emanate the same golden light that Laurelin would during its peak. The second Silmaril would then be made solely of the light from Telperion, and would thus radiate silver light.
It is the third Silmaril that captured the light of the mingling trees, and would simultaneously cast rays of gold and silver. This is the Silmaril that would come to be seen as the most precious of all three because of it’s ability to emanate the light of both trees at once. This would become especially pertinent after the darkening of Valinor and the destruction of the Two Trees, when their light becomes restricted only to the Silmarils. And in the later ages after the flight of the Noldor, the presence of this third Silmaril is the most precious (though all are valued incredibly high) because of the way it reminds the elves of the former glory of Valinor.
A few other random, half-formed thoughts about the Silmarils:
- The third Silmaril of the mingling lights is Morgoth’s favorite and is the one at the center of his crown. It reminds him the most of he destruction and marring of Valinor.
- It is also the Silmaril that Beren and Lúthien steal from Morgoth’s crown, which eventually passes to Eärendil to become a star.
- The “star” created by the Silmaril is the favorite of the elves, for the same reasons that it was their favorite Silmaril (reminds them of the Two Trees).
- When Maedhros casts himself into the pit of fire, he takes with him the Silmaril containing Laurelin’s light (since Laurelin -> the sun -> giant ball of fire… yadda yadda). This is purely just my own headcanon, and really serves no narrative purpose.
- This would mean the the Silmaril Maglor casts into the sea is the one made from Telperion’s light (which also works, since Telperion -> moon -> controls the tides… no? okay…)
- I like to imagine that at some point Ulmo or one of his Maiar comes across Maglor’s Silmaril, but they just leave it alone because they realize that it is something that is best forgotten about.
Regarding their actual physical properties, I’m a little wary to try and analyze what exactly they would look like. However, I absolutely love the idea that they were crafted so that they appear like on of those infinity mirror boxes, so that each Silmaril’s light would reflect infinitely within itself.
Okay so that concludes my long winded post about things that aren’t actually all that important. Thanks for reading!
teacher: hey you are failing your classes idiot
student: you know what teach? i dont give a swag *walks out*
that student.. as you may have already guessed.. was albert einstein
um..i think you made this up for notes?
first of all, how dare you
LAUGHING MY F*CKING ASS OFF OH MY GOD
THE PHOTO I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR SINCE I WAS THIRTEEN
everyone’s trying to stump the akinator so i’m gonna try and see if he’ll know that i’m thinking of the little symbol on the front of his turban
come on it hasn’t even been 10 fucking seconds
GOD DAMN IT
i fucking hate this stupid piece of shit genie fuck him i hate him so fucking much
Pssst, akinator doesn’t know the Puchidols (or at least, I’ve succeeded every time and never tell him my answer LOL).
"you wear that a lot" yes that is because i, a proud owner of a washing machine,
are you guys following this tumblr yet